Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's That Time Again

Time to start seeds, woo hoo!

Last year you may recall I exercised amazing restraint in ordering seeds for our place, and for the front of the subdivision (for a review, see this).

Well, this year, I was even more restrained!




Isn't Salpiglossis a great word?



That cherry punch is a 48 day tomato, friends and neighbors!


I decided against these carrots - they take too long.


Yes, no garden-envy issues here, folks.

I was also unceremoniously moved from one bay of the garage to  another,


nor will I be booby-trapping the mechanical room.  I'll hang my grow lights from the shelves (above) and go from there.

Things I've learned from last time:  Give it time;  seedlings that looked like crap when I put them out, grew into spectacular flowers last year  (like this).    Don't listen when someone says a plant won't grow here - try it out for myself, because you know who knows everything about gardening?  No one.

Things I've learned already this time:  Don't start snapdragons from seed, because those seeds are too damned tiny!  Smaller than lettuce seeds!  No kidding!

Things I've learned in general recently:  I only have to recertify as a master gardener in Oregon if I want to work in the plant clinic or teach.  Otherwise, I can call myself a master gardener forever, even if I never learn another thing.  Unless they change this, I suppose.  Weird, huh?

One more thing.  Even when a kid only weighs a minute, hauling her piggyback a few miles down the Monkey Face trail at Smith Rock will give you a sore back the next day.

I love this kid.




2 comments:

Dan said...

What an awesome picture of you and Stevie!

CaroE said...

Thanks, Dan!