Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Jamaican Farewell



Just some quick pics and thoughts about our Jamaican vacation last week.  First, a scene from our backyard about two days before leaving for Portland to catch our flight:

And my sister wonders why I don't start tomato plants until June.....

Here's some scenery from the ride over Mt. Hood headed into Portland:



...and here's a shot from the shuttle bus at Kennedy International Airport.  We had to stop to let a gigantic 747 pass by.  Spooky being on the same concrete as planes that big, in a little, squashable bus.


 After a very long day of travel, we arrived at our lovely hotel in Ochos Rios.  We had stayed in Negril when our friends Paul and Nina married about six years ago, so this side of the island was new to us.

Oh, and our transportation from the airport was driven by a lovely woman named Colleen, who was able to tell us a ton about Jamaica's history.  I was tres impressed - so much so that I actually had a picture taken of the two of us despite the fact I had been up for over 20 hours and traveling for about 12:

Down in Jamaica they've got lots of pretty women.


That's a peacock nesting in the tree above Ted.

The main hotel from the patio dining area.

The food was completely awesome, and the portion sizes perfect.







<------ this is the view from our "french veranda" which really means "sitting area with a patio door."



The east beach 

Main entry

Courtyard


Ted provokes the peacock into display mode.



A clever little towel-dog facing the TV with the remote and front legs crossed.

The trio that played on the lower patio near the west beach area.  Kind of
nifty to hear "Jamaican Farewell" in Jamaica.

This place was great - smallish, boutique style resort with impeccable service - and by impeccable I mean it takes longer than you like but once you get it, it's terrific.  We had our own butler to bring us coolers of drinks by the pool, and pretty much whatever else we needed.  A big shout out to my friend Susannah at LeBam Vacations for finding this place and then telling us about it!

And I can't finish up about Jamaica without mentioning that I did my longest long run ever - 11 miles - on a treadmill in their spotless gym.  A great view of the flowers and plants outside the gym door didn't hurt, either.  Now it did take me a very long time (2 hours plus), and a young man who worked at the resort kept coming in, ostensibly to clean the glass and mirrors (which he did - twice) and giving me a weird look, but I did it.  When I finished and hit the floor to stretch, he came in again, looked around, and not seeing me on the floor, turned on the television to watch a cricket match!  I think I gave him a heart attack when I stood up to leave!

It was beautiful.  I loved it - frankly, I think I like Jamaica better than Hawaii (of course, I've never been to Kingston).  I was sad to say I was on my way,



but let's face it.  My



Now it's off to L.A. for a sister-trip!



No comments: