Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Growing Season

One of my biggest adjustments to living here has been the seriously shortened growing season.  Granted, in Las Vegas it was difficult to grow things, but it could be done, and it could be done almost year-round.  Here, the growing season is about nine months, tops.  I can't event start seeds indoors until next month because I can't plant them outdoors until late June!  I've learned in the Master Gardener classes (ongoing here in Oregon - I had already certified in Las Vegas) that there have only been about seven days in the entire calendar where a freeze had not been recorded in Central Oregon. 

Yes, growing is a challenge here but that didn't stop me from ordering a ton of seed in January.  Zinnias, herbs, hollyhocks, veggies.  My family built a little green house for me when we first moved here so I'm just going to try everything and, like most things in life, learn from my mistakes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the Black Thumb of Vegas planted some basil, cilantro and parsley last weekend along with three tomatoe plants and an artichoke plant. We're hoping to get enjoy them before they burn up in June, but I don't know. It's gonna be in the 80s today and probably 120 by June 1st. It's been a very bizarre year for weather. But I miss my buddy Carolyn; but I'm terrible at the telephone. Wish we could just sit down and shoot the breeze about nothing in particular and the universe at large.

CaroE said...

I miss you too, my friend ♥

Chrisbriding said...

Remember, if it were easy, you'd be in California. I need to transplant my tomatoes for the 2nd time this weekend. Only 2 of my 6 Columbines sprouted so I replanted yesterday.

Lizi said...

Maybe the Mistress Gardener could recommend some good SHADE plants that are heat tolerant? BIG plants. I am hoping to be able to plant something this year -- as well as fill all the pots Bob brought with him. . . . So much to do and so little time. I am about to give up sleeping!!

CaroE said...

True, Chris, true. I'm going to try columbines myself up here. Save some tomatoes for me!

Lizi, sound like you need some trees. The water authority publishes a free booket called "Trees for Tomorrow" which might help you make a good selection.