Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring? Are you kidding?

It's spring again, the birds' on the wing again....  Baloney. Cole Porter has never lived in Central Oregon.
We moved here just about a year ago, and what the weather is doing to us now is the same thing I remember the weather doing in April of last year - snizzling.  That's a combination of snow and drizzle (thanks, Sue). 
I went for a walk around the "big loop" today with my neighbors and friends, and it snizzled on us the entire hour it took us to do the 3.8 mile loop.  Not that cold (not now that I'm acclimated, anyway) but wet.  Nasty.  My friends who came from western Oregon have taught me that if you don't go out in the cold and wet, then you don't get out at all in the "spring."  Just a week ago I wouldn't go out for a walk if it was under 40, and yesterday I was out in 28F.  It's that or stay inside doing the most outrageous things out of boredom.  Like ironing my linens, for the love of god....
Never will I forget going for my first pedicure in Oregon, on May 5, and watching it snow as I approached the salon in flip flops, thinking What.  The.  Hell.  I could have put that pedicure off for another two months.   Wiser this year.
On a happier note, planning with Daniel (he of the kick-my-ass-word game fame) and with Bill for the family summer get-together and rafting trip.  Last year we all got together shortly after Ted and I moved up here, and I thought it was wonderful having nine extra people in the house (and believe me, no one who knew me as a professional would think I would ever go for that), and I can hardly wait to see them all here again, cooking fabulous meals, seeing things, going places, hanging out at the house/acreage. 
My only concern is that in early June, it may still be cold.
It may still snizzle.
Fo' shizzle.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I got a mention! Snizzle, fo' shizzl...either way, can't wait!

CaroE said...

Actually, I mentioned you in Location, Location, Location too.
We can't wait either!