Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Greatness Thrusts Itself Upon Me. Again.

I'm a very proud grandma, as you can see from previous posts, and while I've written about my younger grandkids, I didn't have a blog when the older ones came along (heck, I don't think there was that tube system called the internets then).

While I've never regretted my decision not to have children, marrying someone with kids who then had kids turns out to be pretty neat, even though I think I was the world's youngest grandma at the ripe old age of twenty-three.  The subject of this post came along when I was the ripe old age of twenty-six - my first granddaughter, Jamie.

How cute is she?



And not a bad looking Papa, either.



Jamie was born in Arizona, but soon enough her parents moved her back to Las Vegas for the whole family to enjoy, and we certainly did.

What a trouper!  Her Papa and I truly dragged her (and her older brother, Tim) from pillar to post, almost everywhere we went.

San Diego Zoo

Sea World where we saw Shampoo the Die-er Whale
Yosemite

A golf course that was in Vegas, despite the fact I bundled her up like we were in Juneau, 



and Hawaii, which was extra special because Jamie used to want to be a dolphin trainer.

We have lots of memories of family gatherings, from weddings





to just fun days together,








even though Jamie occasionally hung out with a certain red-haired wannabe hoodlum.


Jamie's best friend used to be Henry,


but now I'm quite sure that honor goes to her husband, Adam.


Of course Ted and I were thrilled to be able to attend Jamie and Adam's wedding in Virginia this past year.  My eyes still sting when I think about that day. >sniff<  Our little girl.



And now, greatness thrusts itself upon me once again in the form of this,


Jamie and Adam's new baby.  I'm to be a great-grandma once again.  I can hardly wait to meet you, little one.

Jamie my sweetheart, I will love you all your life, and I will love your children all their lives, too.  I wish for you the joys you once gave me, whether they be daydreams in the pantry looking at the Celestial Seasonings tea box illustrations, or refusing to wake up to see a giraffe that was a mere ten feet away with, "Can't you see I'm sleeping?"  May they too get stuck in dolphin-shaped strollers, and make funny faces for your camera.  May you share all the love you have within you - you will be a wonderful mama.


3 comments:

Dan said...

Oh wow. I really wasn't expecting my own tears :-) This is beautiful, Carolyn. I do look forward to these writings of yours!

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh, make me cry!! I love you so much Grandma! I think (No offense Adam) that this was the nicest birthday present ever. I miss you, and because I can't say it enough, I love you so much!

Jamie said...

And Adam was laughing at how you have me looking like the kid from A Christmas Story on a sunny Las Vegas day!