Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Location, Location, Location

True in real estate, yes, but in gardening probably more so.  As cold as the evening gets here, I can plant something that wouldn't otherwise do well in, say, a southwestern location, a microclimate on our property.  Then there are the wonderful season extenders available, like Walls o Water (probably trademarked), row cover, etc., etc., which I will be employing for tomatoes this season.

True also for indoor plants.  I find here that I can't leave plants on windowsills because even though our home is well insulated, it still gets too cold for plants to be left near the windows.  Basil and thyme especially prefer to be further away from windows when indoors.

True for chicks.  I moved ours from the laundry room to the mechanical room in the garage, because I figured when the heater kicks on it will just add to the toasty atmosphere created by their little heat lamp, until they feather out and can move into the coop.  There was no where else outside the house where they could be kept warm enough, and when I checked on them this morning, they were at the just-right temp of 85 degrees.

True, finally, for word games.  I recently got handed a 50+ score for the placement of one tiny "X".  Curse you, Daniel!!

2 comments:

Bernie said...

I find the same problem , here in No Nev., we can't plant until after June 10th.I ordered some seeds from Sibera and Russia thru a co. in florida, last year....But they didn't do well....Enjoy your postings.Bernie

CaroE said...

Thanks, Bernie. We think of you often, and I loved the pictures of the new barn.