Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Desert v. desert.

Most of you know I am "from" Nevada.  I lived there for 35 years, spent my entire working career there, still own a home there, and have many beloved family and friends there.  I always felt that the desert of Southern Nevada had its own beauty, bleak as it may be or seem to "outsiders."

When we moved to Central Oregon just over two years ago, my husband and I both were amazed to learn that Oregonians consider this part of the state of be "desert."  Ha!  We're surrounded by trees (juniper trees are still trees, folks) here in Powell Butte, and just a short drive to Bend takes us to the pines and rivers and lakes of the Cascades.  Desert?  I think not.

My recent drive to Las Vegas bears this out.

Lovely Goldfield


My "hometown"

Just outside Tonopah, perhaps?

Kind of all looks the same.  I was going to take pictures of the missile silos and munitions depots outside Hawthorne, but I was nervous about getting shot.

By contrast, here's the Oregon "desert" ...





Just a bit prettier, imho.  I'm so glad we live in Oregon.

And just for an update, here I am on my three month Medifast anniversary:


No comments: