Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Wallowa Lake and Chief Joseph

Sitting here in the Delta Sky Club at PDX, knowing I still have a full day of flying before me, I thought it would do my spirit good to post about our recent camping trip to Wallowa Lake in Joseph, Oregon (where I could actually go outside whenever I felt like it and walk around).

Nigel is a seasoned traveler,

but this was Schazi's first road trip of any duration.
She was a real trouper.

Gorgeous mountains around the lake.






A little baby crochet to pass the afternoon.

For a pup who has been raised with a doggy door
and the freedom to go in and out as she pleased,
Schazi did really well in the fifth wheel.
Not one accident, woo!

It didn't take her long to get into our afternoon routine.

Imnaha is where Chief Joseph and his Nez Perce band would
spend the winter.

Looks kind of like Jarbidge or the Rubies in Nevada, right?




We drove past this barn half a dozen times - I had to have a
picture.  Look at that sky!

We were almost too late for the fall color.

Here's what I don't get.  All he wanted was to lead his band
into Canada, so as not to be forced onto a reservation
far from Wallowa, his home.  But, nooooo, the
U.S. Army had to chase them to within 30 miles
of the Canadian border before forcing a surrender.


Deer, deer, everywhere.  Small but big racks.




Wake up cuddle
Snooze
Chief Joseph's father is buried near Wallowa Lake

Here's his monument.  Meanwhile, Chief Joseph is buried
in Washington state, far from home.

Read up on the Nez Perce "war" of the late 1800's - I plan to learn more myself.

No comments: