Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

Why I Undeleted My Blog

Some of my faithful readers (okay, just two of you) noticed that I deleted my blog.  This very one.  I had recently posted about a little shelter rescue (Zeb - sniff) we adopted, but that didn't work out (he never stopped attacking Ted whenever he came near me), and I deleted the blog post about him.

Then I got to thinking.  How dumb was it to post about him so soon, when there was a very real possibility the adoption wouldn't work out?  We had adopted a second Basenji years ago, and that REALLY didn't work out!  So one would think I'd hold off a little.  Wait and see.  Maybe this blogging wasn't such a good idea, and by the way, it was starting to be a little like that four letter word I can no longer bear :  WORK.

So I deleted the entire blog.  Bang - one button push and it was gone!  What a relief!

Except I missed it.  I missed being able to go back and look at how I've progressed, how my relationships have grown, and basically just the fun things I've done and shared.  Even a puppy adoption that didn't work out would be worth looking back at now and then (too bad I can't figure out how to bring that post back).

Lately I've subscribed to a really well-written blog, The Hungry Runner Girl.  Now, I probably have nothing in common with this lady except running (and she runs waaaaaay more and longer than I presently do), and although most of her posts seem to include food (hence the "Hungry" part), I really enjoy reading it.  I don't even know this person, and I'm getting a charge (and not a little inspiration) reading about her daily life.

I'm thinking even if the only person I inspire is myself, so be it.  It's kind of like a journal, isn't it?  I used to keep a journal, from 1974 to about 1983, when I married, and only sporadically thereafter.  Those volumes I burned after having a near-death experience, when I considered how juvenile some of the contents were (I was, after all, a juvenile most of that time) and how difficult it would be for anyone to understand it if I weren't around to edit/explain/justify.  I've never regretted that little fireplace session for a single moment.

But I regretted this blog deletion.  That's why I'm back.  And if I don't get around to updating it often "enough," too bad; I'm not getting paid by the word (or at all).

So stand back and brace yourselves for more thrills a minute, like what I'm going to submit to this year's county fair.  Or the results of my first half marathon run.  Or maybe someday a dog adoption that took.