Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Some Happy Chickens

It broke my heart, but I had to filet the giant salmon from Novelli Brothers Seafood because the danged thing was too big for my grill to grill it whole as I originally planned :-(    I've never filleted a fish before, but thanks to YouTube I figured I could handle it (I decided not to follow the video of the lady wearing rings on all her fingers filleting on a picnic table with peeling paint).





I should note here that the tip in Whole Salmon 101 in this month's Sunset Magazine to get the scales off (salting in kosher salt, rubbing then paper toweling) doesn't work.

But look at the size of that beauty!

Head and tail off

Bones out

Half cut up to freeze :-(



My chickens are still going at the remains.

Not pretty, but I ended up with probably right around ten pounds of cleaned fillets of fresh, wild caught, Oregon chinook that was delivered to my door.  This worked out to be much less expensive than any salmon fishing trip Ted or I have experienced.  I'm thinking of maybe getting another one next week for when Jamie, Adam, Meg and Emil come up, but I'd need to borrow someone's commercial sized grill....




1 comment:

Dan said...

Well, you know how I feel about fish (or just ask Dad) but I'm happy you're enjoying yourself :-)