Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

New Eggs

Hooray for Druscilla - the first pullet in my new flock to lay an egg!  Here's the pretty little green egg:



Nestled picturesquely amongst black grapes

and here's Druscilla:



She even laid it in a nest box.  Good girl!  Not two days later, I found a little brown egg under Fiona, who was also in a nest box.  How do they know??

Fiona is the white Delaware

I must admit to being puzzed as to why Lucy, the sex-link, hasn't kicked it into gear.  She was supposed to start about two weeks before the other breeds.  Hmm.

As for music and events, Ted, Judy and I saw a great jazz trio at a local restaurant the other night, the Pamela McGuire Trio.  They had only been together a few weeks, but sounded fantastic.  Pamela was flat-out amazing, and I look forward to seeing them again soon.

Not so amazing was the swing band Judy, Lillian and I went to see at a local park.  Now, it was wonderful being outside with friends,




I always like seeing the people in my neighborhood, like the Sesame Street song,


and it cracks me up when people put "service dog" vests on their pets to get them into a place where they may otherwise be forbidden,

A service Yorkie?  Really?

but the band wasn't that hot, so no picture for them.  Thanks to both my buddies for letting me eat their food and drink their wine as I didn't think to bring any - next time, I promise!

Finally, Ted loved the trout I made last night so much he said TWICE I should include it in my blog, so here it is:  Carmelize a pile of onions.  Dredge your cleaned trout in  egg whites (you may skin them first but that's a pain when they're raw).  Stuff them with seasoned panko crumbs and cleaned morel mushrooms, and fry/poach them in a frying pan in a little bit of olive oil and beef stock, adding more stock as it evaporates.  I also dumped more seasoned panko on top as they cooked, which in retrospect was kind of dumb since I skinned them before serving.


Bone and skin the trout and serve on a bed of the carmelized onions.  Delish!  Thanks to Ken and his guests for bringing me their fresh trout - love my neighbors!





1 comment:

Mary LaDouceur said...

Our sex link was the second to start laying--she followed the buff orpington by two weeks!