Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

Stevie Keeps Me On Track

As promised, I will complete my blogging on our family vacation in this post, with a focus on Stevie.

Every day we would discuss what we were going to do the following day.  Since my memory is now like swiss cheese, to say nothing of the fact we were busy, busy, busy every day, I would ask Stevie to remind me of the things she and I were going to do together.  For example, we needed to transplant some squash and other seedings, so I asked Stevie to remind me.  The next morning, this note was on the floor outside my bedroom door:


We spent a big part of that day transplanting, as a Grandma-and-Stevie project.

Moving the tomatoes out of the greenhouse

This girl can dress for gardening, let me tell you.


Planting crookneck squash, which I fear her daddy may have later sprayed with Round-up :(

Also planting blue pumpkins
Later that day, I looked at the floor and mused that it needed a good mopping.  Here's my note the next morning:

Never fear - no pics of us mopping
Finally, I asked Stevie to help me remember that we needed to make goat cheese out of the wonderful goat milk from Tara's Bantam Lane Goat Farm.  The next morning:


At some point in the trip, Bill bought Stevie a little bow with two arrows, and he and Ted took Stevie out to our "range" to practice.  She was naturally a very quick study and managed to hit the target sooner than I can remember doing it with a compound bow my first time shooting.  Check it out:


Look how well she anchors her release fingers against her cheek.

Love this face - I think she was getting a lot of unsolicited advice at the time!

Here's the first hit!

And here's the first stick!
Since the stick was a little low and right, Papa of course had to make sure the bow was shooting straight...

...because it's inconceivable - INCONCEIVABLE - that Stevie could have missed the center!
Throughout the Fabulous Embry 2011 Summer Tour, I could look at Stevie and see glimpses of the young lady she would become.





We still had fun playing,

Stevie discovered the concertina my parents bought me when I was in 6th grade.

A home-made quill.


My hair-do by Stevie.
but sometimes she would just surprise me and I felt I was looking into the future.




Please don't grow up too fast, sweetheart.   As a lullaby my mom used to sing said, childhood is but a day.
Grandma loves you.  ♥


3 comments:

Mary LaDouceur said...

I'm still smiling.

CaroE said...

Me too, Mary Kaye.

us4-wir4 said...

How sweet is that? She is so much bigger than the last time that I saw her! How time flies!