Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Small Town Fourth of July, and Other Catch-Up

Our first year here, I wasn't inspired to go to our little town's Fourth of July parade, but this year I was going, dammit (despite the fact that Ted, Mark and Virginia took a pass).

Here's the very first thing to go by:

I mean, really, what the hell?

There's a miniature donkey farm across the street from the place we board the dogs, and next to that is a large field with these beautiful black clydesdales.  I had never managed to snap a pic of them before, but there they were in the parade:

It seems anyone could march in the parade - I mean, the local cell companies were marching with a banner, and our vet clinic made a nice appearance:

I thought at first this was Herself, but it was not.
 There were painted ponies,

 politicians,

 and a bunch of old cars.

It was a real blast, and when I got tired of standing up after two hours, it was still going!  I think next year, Andi, Stevie and I should make a banner and march.  How many chances does one get to be in a parade, especially if one is not in a marching band??

The next day, as I was taking Nigel to the vet, this lady was just off the front lawn.  Another slice of life in Oregon.


In a few weeks we have been to the Hullaballoo Festival in Bend,

Our neighbor Kathy bellydancing

Marc Cohn ♥


and a Bite of Bend, with still more good eats.





Ted's classical guitar teacher is on the right.

We camped and fished at Diamond Lake,



also known as Mosquito Lake.


Mt. Thielsen

Our toothless guide with the fish Gene and I caught


And to bring us up to date, here's what I saw across the street from the imaging center, where I had just endured that always painful examination to detect breast cancer.


Canada goose with adolescent goslings

It kind of cheered me up, you know?

4 comments:

EC said...

Gorgeous! Especially that photo of Mt. Thielsen.

Chrisbriding said...

Can't wait to visit, we can do all the local stuff together!!

Unknown said...

Great blog. Keep it up, Carolyn. You bring Bend to us. Although, I must say that the Pahrump 4th parade was televised this year. Five minutes was all I could take. It was exactly as you might imagine.

Chrisbriding said...

Take it from one who was in a marching band; should you participate next year, make sure you are in FRONT of the horses...