Search This Blog

Monday, December 29, 2014

A New Goal

The main thing here is that I only gained .2 pounds over Christmas, even though I swear all I did was eat.  I loved seeing all my family, and many of my friends but I think next year we'll stay put or at least leave the dog-who-barks-at-every-noise-in-a-hotel home.

Yes, her.  I didn't have a good night's
sleep the entire week, grrrrr.

Today was my first day back at the gym in just over a week, and I think trainer Tom took it a little easy on me (this could be because I emailed him over Christmas saying that I believed my triceps were permanently damaged from that little reverse push up bar thingy).

So we talked a bit about our respective holiday weeks, and for some reason I blurted out that I've decided to train to compete.  You may recall when I started down this path, I figured I'd train for the body but pass on the competition.  Well, somehow I've decided that if I'm training for a competition with every intent of actually competing, I may stick with it better, especially nutrition-wise.  Because


Or, as Marc would say,


Tom the Trainer took it well (he's already training a younger woman in the gym for a competition in April - he calls it training for "the stage") but stressed that nutrition would be key, and I wouldn't be ready in time for the April show in Bend - no kidding.

There are age groupings and several different categories for competition.



I don't want to do the bikini competition because I would have to wear stripper heels and stick my ass out at the judges, thusly:



I find this sexist and bullshit, even though Tom the Trainer assures me the purpose is so the judges can see muscle definition.  Yeah, right.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the figure or fitness categories, because I don't want to be too built up, a la scary Liudmila


 and I'm not going to do a ridiculous tan that doesn't match my face, like




nor am I going to perform some "talent."


If my talent can't be sitting in a chair reading a book, we may have a problem, Houston.

Tom the Trainer set out some more rigid guidelines, although we were able to compromise downward on the daily cardio quotient - starting at ONE hour a day (the girl he's training for "the stage" is up to THREE hours a day.  Yikes).  On days I miss training, I've agreed to add another hour of cardio.  I have no excuse, no reason I can't do it.  There is nothing more important in my life right now so I need to DO IT.

I had already opened up my My Fitness Pal diary - something I had NEVER done before - so Tom the Trainer can check what I'm eating.  While I logged in many times last week, I didn't actually put anything down, so I need to DO IT to realize this goal.

Yes, I've over fifty, but so are each of these ladies:


I think this one is lying about her age.





The lady in the center is 60 something.  The lady
on the right needs a coach.  Or a mirror.

Clearly, I'll be looking into the rules, etc. more as I progress.  Tom has set a weight loss goal for me that I think is doable, though difficult.  I knocked off 60 pounds in 2012, and while about 30 has settled back on, I think I can manage 1-2 pounds a week.  No, I'll just DO IT.

And because Tom is taking Friday off, I'll be just DOING MORE TRAINING tomorrow and Wednesday.  Yay me!



No comments: